Wednesday 23 March 2011

It's all in the timing

It struck me today that it is literally a full time job for me just going to the gym, making healthy food and eating it whilst catching up with the previous days episode of Come Dine with Me. By the time all the above are done, it's usually time to pick up the kids from school.

Where do people find the time to write? I recently read of a writer who gets up at 6am to have two full hours of writing in before she has to deal with her family, job etc. I am slightly shamed by this as I find it hard to get up at 7am just to deal with the family. I gave up my job in December so I should be ROLLING in time, I should have so much time I don't know what to do with it.

I still feel a schedule is the key - I will get working on it tomorrow, but for now, I am finally going to get down to some actual writing of actual words.

5 comments:

  1. I am one of those people who gets up to write before everything else that needs to be done. I get up at 5am then write for an hour and a half to two hours before getting my son up. I take him to school, work all day and fit in social networking with my readers, exercise, chores and everything else that has to be done around family time in the evenings and weekends. I've been doing it for years and the pace is killing me but I can't afford to give up work so I have no other option because giving up on writing is not an option. I am incredibly envious of all the time you have to devote to doing whatever you please....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi D.J. - I think it was actually your blog that I saw that made me feel so bad! I am incredibly impressed with your organisation - and motivation. I was working last year so know how hard it is just to combine that with a family - about the only writing I managed then was a Write Invite comp every so often. I think I would benefit from scheduling a set time for writing too - it is nearly April so I should be in a routine by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel - I think sometimes the more time there is available to write, the less I actually do. I work 4 days and always vow to fill the other day with writing. But I end up going to the gym, getting my hair done or all those other things that suddenly become essential! I find having whole day to write in often feels very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My view is that work expands to fill the time available.
    I am now setting aside the hour from 10pm to 11pm for writing as this seems to be the only time I can get a bit of peace and quiet.
    Let's see if it works....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally - I think you are right - it can feel a little daunting - I definitely think I self sabotage though!

    Opus - I think a set time is the way to go - let me know how you get on :-)

    ReplyDelete